Thursday, November 20, 2008

A rose by any other name . . . .


Katharine's very astute Mom pointed out that as beautiful as Katharine is, the videos that show up are not the most flattering. Here is a picture of Katharine looking happy and pregnant in week 27 (for those of you non-savvy pregnancy folk, that is the start of the third trimester and evidently little Q has been opening his eyes in there and trying to figure out where the heck he is.)

I've had several people ask about little Q's name - Where does it come from? Is there any significance? How do you spell that? Well, we (read - Jared) thought we would clarify in writing.

We sort of worked backwards with the naming thing. Katharine and I knew right away we wanted the middle initial to be "R". For a few misguided days/weeks I was even thinking maybe just leave the middle name as the initial R. I'm glad many people looked at me funny when I shared that, and I talked about it with Katharine enough that she helped me see the light. But why R, you might ask? Well, some of you know, Katharine has kept her last name the same, never changing to be a Stevenson. We don't hold that against her, and I even like to tell telemarketers that, "No, Mr. Riedlinger is not available right now." So, without saddling poor little Q with a hyphenated last name, we thought the R could partially represent the Riedlinger part of his Mom's name. We were also lucky enough to have several very important family members with names that start with R, which for a while was why I liked the stand alone initial with no name, so we could represent all of those Rs without favoring any one of them over the others. Just to share we have Grandpa Roy (Katharine's Dad), Grandpa Rick (Jared's Dad), Great-Grandpa Richard (Jared's Grandfather), and special Grandpa #3 Fossil (Rocky - for those going, that isn't an "R" name). Katharine and I were also blessed to be loved and influenced by grandparents who have passed away, Katharine's Grandmother Rita and Jared's Grandfather Roger. So, Rian, is the R - for so many reasons. We found we liked the meaning of the Irish / Gaelic name and depending on where you look it will tell you Rian means king, or little king. No, we don't want him to find this out for fear it may inflate an feelings of self-importance more than necessary.
How about Quinlan? Well, when we had the middle initial "R", even before I was convinced to not leave it as "R", we both really liked the flow of the initials, Q. R. S. We both know, this is a little dorky, but there is a certain charm to it. Looking through the Q's in those baby name books can be interesting, though really not overly time-consuming. We both really like Quin (normally found as Quinn) but played with Quinlan off and on for a while. For a brief moment I considered Quincy (as in our 6th President, son of John and Abigail), but wasn't happy with a name that means "fifth". While searching and considering, we kept coming back to Quinlan, which is also Irish/Gaelic and means, strong, well-formed or well-shaped (or, Jared's favorite--son of a strong or well-formed man).
So, Quinlan Rian Stevenson a well-formed, strong little king. We were hoping not to tell him for the first 20 or so years, we want to try and maintain a semblance of us being in charge.

No comments: