Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sweet Potato

We have been introducing different foods for a little while and learning about feeding the little man. Katharine, who does a lot of the reading and then summarizes for me, shared about experiential eating. As an adult, I love food and eating experiences; there are only few things I enjoy better than going to a new restaurant (or cooking) and enjoying fancy flavors mixed together. I love the experiences you can have with and around food. As a semi-psuedo-neurotic clean freak, I was not so sure how I felt about Q experiencing his food. He needs to be fed right?

Anyway, the book (Super Baby Food - very interesting and good, I have actually read some of it and no, we are not getting anything for free or money for endorsing the book, though we both love Amazon and will be glad to take anything they offer for advertising and endorsing them) talks about introducing new foods to Q to make sure that he is not allergic and to get him to taste different things. It also talks about how he is learning about food and eating in general - hence the experiential eating. Now, instead of trying to neatly get all the food in his mouth without ever letting any of it touch his bib, I am glad to say he happily spreads it everywhere. He even uses his own spoon to spread said food everywhere.

The video is 11 minutes. It is all of him eating. I am talking to him, too, and he talks back some, but mostly you can just watch the sweet potatoes spread out across his face. This was his first time eating, oh, excuse me, experiencing sweet potatoes, and he certainly experienced it. I know some of you don't have the time or the interest to watch 11 minutes of a baby eating; try skipping all the way to the end where I zoom in and show his happy, sloppy, sticky, smiling face.



Note: the video was from Monday evening. Katharine fed him on Tuesday, and he was just as happy to spread the sweet potatoes all over his face. Just in case anyone is wondering, this is real sweet potato, cooked, peeled and pureed, not stuff out of a cute little jar. Not knocking the little jarred food, or saying we won't ever use it, but cooking, blending, and refrigerating sweet potato was pretty easy, and we are happy to be letting Q experience good old fashioned home-cooked meals.

No comments: